Community Options Program Waiver (COP-W)

Services available from the Department of Social Services

Community Options Program (COP)
Community Integration Program II (CIPII)
Community Options Program Waiver (COP-W)

These programs provide services to allow persons who are elderly or who have a long term physical disability to remain in their homes.  Services may include chore services, personal care, transportation, home delivered meals, Lifeline, etc.  These programs can also fund community based residential facilities (CBRF), adult family homes (AFH), or residential care apartment complexes (RCAC) dependent upon funding availability at the time of request.  Single persons with an income above $890.00 or married couples may be subject to a cost sharing payment toward services.

For more information from the State of Wisconsin go to:

Supportive Home Care Program (SHC)

Supportive Home Care provides services to low income ($890.00 or under) individuals who are elderly or have a long term physical disability.  Maximum monthly payment is $400.  In-home services such as chore services, personal care, home delivered meals, and Lifeline can be funded.

Adult Protective Services (APS)

Adult Protective Services (APS) referrals are investigated by this department.  Referrals are received on behalf of persons 18 years of age or older who may be victims of physical, emotional or financial abuse as well as neglect and self-neglect.  Referrals on persons aged 60 or older are often investigated cooperatively between the Department of Social Services and the Department on Aging, and cases involving financial abuse may be referred to Oneida County law enforcement agencies.

Adult/Elder At Risk

As the lead reporting agency for Adult/Elder At Risk in Oneida County we investigate allegations of physical, emotional, financial exploitation, sexual abuse, neglect and self-neglect. We work cooperatively with other service and law enforcement agencies when needed to bring cases to satisfactory conclusion.  Persons reporting suspected abuse/neglect are kept confidential by law.

Adult Welfare Concerns

In Oneida County we investigate allegations of physical, emotional, financial exploitation, sexual abuse, neglect and self-neglect.  We work cooperatively with other service and law enforcement agencies when needed to bring cases to satisfactory conclusion.  In an attempt to intervene and provide preventative services in a timely manner the department will provide ongoing case management services to these inividuals.

Guardianship/Protective Placement

Guardianship/Protective Placement services are provided to those persons deemed incompetent by a licensed physician or psychiatrist.  This is a process whereby a guardian of the person and/or estate is appointed by the court to handle their affairs.  A protective placement is required to admit an incompetent individual to a facility larger than 15 beds.  This must be reviewed by the court on an annual basis

SSIE Certifications

The Supplemental Security Income – Exceptional Expense (SSIE) supplement is a state payment which may be applied for on behalf of SSI recipients in substitute care or natural residential settings.  The client is assessed and it must be documented that the client requires at least 40 hours per month of supportive home care, daily living skills training, or community support services.  The certifications are submitted to the Department of Health & Family Services for their approval.


Medicaid also known as Medical Assistance, MA, and Title 19, is a state/federal program that helps low income (income is anything you receive in cash or in kind that you can use to meet your needs for food, clothing, and shelter) people pay their medical bills.  A person is eligible if s/he meets all non-financial and financial requirements.

EBD MA is elderly, blind, disabled MA.  The client must be: 65 or older, or Blind or disabled as determined by the Disability Determination Bureau ( DDB ).

FoodShare Wisconsin

FoodShare Wisconsin (formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) helps individuals and families who have little money to buy the food they need for good health. The US Department of Agriculture is responsible for setting the basic program rules so they are similar everywhere in the country. The Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services administers the state’s FoodShare Program. Government workers at county/tribal human or social service agencies (local agencies) determine eligibility for FoodShare benefits and are responsible for issuing benefits.

You can see if you may be eligible for Medical Assistance or FoodShare by going the following web site:

The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) administers the federally funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Public Benefits Energy Assistance Program. LIHEAP and its related services help over 100,000 Wisconsin households annually. In addition to regular heating and electric assistance, specialized services include:

  • Emergency fuel assistance
  • Counseling for energy conservation and energy budgets
  • Pro-active co payment plans
  • Targeted outreach services
  • Emergency furnace repair and replacement

Oneida County Department on Aging

Phone: 715.369.6170
Toll Free: 1.800.379.7499
Fax: 715.369.6245

Aging & Disability
Resource Center
of the Northwoods
Toll Free:  1.800.699.6704

100W Keenan Street
Rhinelander, WI 54501

Oneida County Department of Social Services

Phone: 715.362.5695
Toll Free: 1.888.662.5695
Fax: 715.362.7910

One South Oneida Avenue
PO Box 400
Rhinelander, WI 54501